EDGE Community
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  EDGE Home
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

zombie doom « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Corbin
PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

immortalundead wrote:
i realise that i can make them with 3d floors, but i plan to make lots of scenery items 3d, such as cars/lamps/sign etc, to cut down on extra sectors, thats all, plus i like the look Very Happy

I've done the same thing. Lots of models I'm using.
PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this mod is back from the dead! (well, kinda)

ive gotten back into working on it after a year of not touching my mod, terrible mapper's block, i got ideas but nothing is coming together, but im starting to once again work on it, so hopefully stuff runs smoother.

heres a shot of the dawn of the dead mall... at least the map itself

hopefully i can get back into this and get modding!
Tragos
PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update please! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immortalundead
PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should have some updates soon, ive redone a good majority of some of the levels, still working on textures, and im restarting all the weapons. wasnt happy with the look of the high-res weapons i have, so im going for a doom look, low res everything Very Happy
hopefully ill get some good shots up by the end of the month
Liberation
PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it!!
immortalundead
PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ive worked on lots of ideas last couple days. trying to make the whole mod feel like one large city that you explore more and more from level to level.

i am limiting it to about 5 levels, to many makes things rather annoying and difficult. so far ive worked on a warehouse district but i am annoyed with the lack of pens and pencils around the house to get little ideas and drawings down when i think of them.

new textures are being made for just about everything, im starting from scratch and limiting it in certain ways. just about everything has been scrapped except for bits and pieces here and there, and the dawn of the dead mall, which should play more like an extra level that u just shoot shoot and shoot some more in.

thats a little update for now, and i should have some new pictures up soon with some cool shots of the levels themselves.
immortalundead
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much to show, but ive started working on all new guns for this mod, so far, the m4 is about 75% finished, i need reloading and touchups on the arms, and i have the other weapons in various states of creation.

is actually going very smoothly, i hope to have all weapons finished by the end of the week, at least all the sprites
Lysander
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, immortalundead. That looks outstanding! I eagerly look forward to some kind of release!
Chronoteeth
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing terminator rampage guns I see?

Here, use this! Includes all the Term rampage neatly aligned, plus a modified beretta sprite (so it looks like you can upgrade it). If you're going for playability, its old, outdated, and hell, downright boring. Dont play it, just use it. :3

hurr
immortalundead
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im hoping to get some sort of release, even if its only 1 level to test out for now, ive been changing things so much, getting different ideas, going in different directions, that things change so much.

thanks for the link to those weapons chronoteeth, i might use the beretta, but right now, ive got most of my weapons already. the terminator rampage weapons are nice thought, they have a gritty appeal to them, so i might use a couple.
immortalundead
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way to make it so weapons dont switch when there is no ammo in a weapon?

for example i have a grenade, but when i have no grenades left, i dont want it popping up when cycling through the weapons. i cant seem to figure from lobo's DDF's if there is a command that does that
Tragos
PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a startup parameter/shortcut which can fix that, at least that's what I had to do for Zdoom. Wish I knew for sure.... Personally I've never liked it much when weapons switch automatically, though it certainly helps during a death-match for me it forces you to play more carefully since you have to pay attention to your ammo level more closely.

I'm thinking about modifying the shotgun in AvM so the player has to pump the gun with the right mouse button, while firing with the left buyyon. The quicker you are the more rounds you can squeeze off... I wonder if I could even have the faster you shoot throw off your accuracy slightly? Not sure how I would code that....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immortalundead
PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good and bad news about this project guys!...after 2 years

good news, im still working on it...

bad news, im switching over to gzdoom to finish it. I've always prefered edge for quite a long time, but as it is now pretty limited with what I would like to accomplish, Im making the switch, as much as I didnt want to. But if you guys are still interested, Ill update here with some screenshots very soon concerning the project.

Cheers
zZaRDoZz
PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood.

Sorry to hear it but GZdoom is a high quality port, not to mention the bigger audience. Good luck with your endeavors.
Nick_Perrin
PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortalundead wrote:

bad news, im switching over to gzdoom to finish it.

A post! In the EDGE forums! In 2012! Wonders never cease!

I also have the exact same good/bad news... I'm back in the Doom community! And working on a new project (mouac on hold, this one's a bit smaller, figure I'll finish a shorter one first).

But the same bad news, I've also switched to Gzdoom because I want to do game development these days, not simply Doom development. There are just so many more possibilities. The sad thing is, and I'm sure you're experiencing this as well, is that I have such a deep understanding of EDGE's systems but I'm a total n00b right now with zdoom's. So before heavy work can even begin, I'm mostly just following tutorials and asking questions on forums.

In any case, looking forward to seeing this project finally see the light of day!
zZaRDoZz
PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Nick Perrin is saying it, it' official.

Edge is dead!

Long live Edge!
Nick_Perrin
PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zZaRDoZz wrote:
Edge is dead!

It's so sad. Sad

Wait a tic - or wait 35 tics to be precise - it's not really dead, is it?

We have Corbin's work on 3DGE and his game project SCOURGE on that engine... EDGE isn't dead! Yay!

At some point I might release small things for EDGE in future as well, because I don't want to let all that knowledge go to waste...
zZaRDoZz
PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Perrin wrote:
zZaRDoZz wrote:
Edge is dead!

It's so sad. Sad

Wait a tic - or wait 35 tics to be precise - it's not really dead, is it?

We have Corbin's work on 3DGE and his game project SCOURGE on that engine... EDGE isn't dead! Yay!

At some point I might release small things for EDGE in future as well, because I don't want to let all that knowledge go to waste...

Corbin is contemplating KMquake2 for scourge. If he continues with 3dge (no guarantee of that) it will be only on the GL end of things. We have some major documentation problems with this port, there's almost nothing written for COAL, Edge's hud script etc. etc.
immortalundead
PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbin's dedication is great, ill give him that, but GZdoom is simply miles ahead in functionality. I have rebuilt and coded most of the monsters (zombies!) scrapped most levels, and starting from scratch, and its already tons faster... mostly thanks to .pk3's and there simplicity with drag and drop instead of having to manually add every single .png to the ddf's.
zZaRDoZz
PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACS, polyobjects, uncapped frame rate, more classes with decorate, the list goes on. Just getting caught up with the basics found in other ports would involve more coding hours than forking some other port, adding RTS scripting, COAL and compatibility with edge's map format/ 3Dfloors.

Heck, there's even a SVN version of prboom+ that can run Hexen now.
zZaRDoZz
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

I was kinda, sorta hoping someone would debate these points...

Sad
Corbin
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

I was thinking about it, but it looks like most of the community have made their minds up..

I've been talking to Wesley off and on, and his work on Doom Legacy has inspired me to take up work here and there on 3DGE again. I made steps last year to support Heretic but it didn't get too far without major work, but the initial framework is there mostly (if I remember right). I was using Doom Legacy for the longest time as sort of a backbone to port things over to 3DGE when needed, but Legacy has a messy software/OGL interface that confused me when looking at it.

I don't know, I'm not sure what people want from the port anymore. I split the engine down the middle (one for multiplayer, one for singleplayer) to continue, and I've been dabbling in it for awhile now.

Scourge isn't using 3DGE anymore, we made the switch to KMQ2 a few months back and I've been occupied getting to learn that. Though I've been wanting to roll my sleeves up and dig into this again, I'm not sure who would use it seriously anymore.

I don't know, if there was a few things you'd like to see, what would they be?
PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbin:
Quote:
I don't know, if there was a few things you'd like to see, what would they be?

That's really a question for modders, I'll add my 1.03 cents anyway.. Every time I think about this topic the answer winds up being some titanic feature that some other doom port has had for years. Edge has to compete with other ports. Doing so means doing what they do better/easier or having features that they don't have; at least that's what a mod makers perspective would just about have to be.

Right now or in the very near future, The absolutest, bestest most cool-i-otious thing for Edge would have to be that non mapper's mapping program that Andrew was working on and was tested by that Doomed Again mod fellow. Such an action might knock the dust of some of those half completed mods people have shelved while they've taken up DECORATE lessons.
immortalundead
PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I loved about edge, was what you could do with new creatures and weapons. Zdoom seemed to run a bit smoother and what you could do in the levels was really nice. Edge's only up from that was true 3d floors. Making levels for edge was a bit more tedious i found

But now zdoom/gzdoom has 3d floors and you can do secondary fires, reloads and more... I would love to see edge becoming a mix of both... basicly zdoom with DDF support. DDF's although lacking a couple new features, blows decorate outta the water.
zZaRDoZz
PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immoprtalundead said:
Quote:
...DDF's although lacking a couple new features, blows decorate outta the water.

I'm a non-coder, yet that has always been my impression. I've played quite a bit of ceeJay's stuff, Don's challenge, (both the zdoom and edge version) QuakeDoom, and various other mods and ports that have both Edge/zdoom counterparts. Time and time again Edge usually has stronger feature sets as far as weapons and AI goes. Still, wouldn't it be easier (less coding) to port RTS/DDF to another port than try to catch up with all the other ports out there?

This is a technical question that I'm very much assuming the answer to. I honestly don't know. Edge was based on DOSDooM, other ports use Boom as their starting point so I could be wrong.
Corbin
PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Porting DDF/RTS would be kind of pointless, seeing as Zdoom has decorate and acs. In theory one could write a converter to run the code through but again, if you are going to do that you might as well use the original port.

Evolving a port to compete is time consuming - DoomLegacy being a chief example; that engine is being overhauled and it seems painful to read only because the amount of rewrites is boggling.

I don't feel Edge needs rewrites as much as that, it doesn't have Software or other dependencies crudding it up. Its mostly old code that Andrew cleaned up and added to since the early days, and maintaining/updating that code becomes a witch hunt simply because its his engine. He wrote the majority and looking through it he did a lot to update and workaround the old code. When I work on it I tend to continue adding/updating/hacking his stuff rather than rewriting it. TBH it doesn't need rewriting, only cleaned up. Its hard to add onto something like Edge when it has so much code history behind it.

Then again, I was a n00b when I originally started the project; I'm a bit more experienced now, but it still takes time to learn someone's code. He's been incredibly helpful when I needed to understand things. If I were to continue development I would start over and merge all of the experimental stuff together. Like post processing...that was an interesting beast..
PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

So, I guess the question is - what makes other ports more appealing? Stronger script support, multiplayer, Heretic/Hexen, etc?

When I think about it, EDGE has a really strong feature set and is coded quite reliably. That is why I wanted to focus on other things, like rendering improvements and splitscreen. Aside from that stuff, what else would bring more support for this port, in terms of modding and development for it?

I'm not about to give up on the port, but I'm not about to continue working on it either if there is only one mod (as far as I know, the excellent looking Abrasion). Part of me is only keeping up to continue supporting that author's efforts, because I think it looks and plays amazing if he can get the concept fleshed out further.

Should we start some sort of community megawad? A new project or something? Was looking forward to CJ's retake on Marathon. It seems EDGE is geared for remake projects (not just saying that because Hyper was!!) Wink
PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a list of the active projects that are planned for use with EDGE;

aBRASION by kronos: Nearing completion as of 4-26

Saboteur by Chronoteeth: A weapons mod on the back burner since March.

WolfenDoom (by Laz Rojas) Update by Ceejay: Switched back to Edge 4-02. I don't know what CJ's plans for marathon.

As of right now there are more Edge project updates on the ZDoom forums than here at the EDGE site. Rolling Eyes

The megawad idea fell through a year ago; too many coders and not enough mappers. The main complaint with Edge aside from the capped 35 fps is the difficulty of implementing things.

Jump to: