EDGE Community
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  EDGE Home
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

3DGE Source Fork - 1.36C released! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Corbin
PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: 3DGE Source Fork - 1.36C released! Reply with quote

3DGE Source Port Announcement
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|

I want to note that I have started a fork of EDGE called hyper3DGE, or just 3DGE. We have opened a project site at SF (http://edge2.sourceforge.net). We are a team of 3 people who originally invested this for HT, but after the demise of EDGE we decided to continue its legacy for everyone.

We released the first binary of the fork today, which has a few minor additions ported from an abandoned branch of Edge into 1.35. It's nothing too major, but I thought I'd list it here anyway. You are better off using Andy's version most likely if you are building a project.

The release notes are on the SF page itself. Let us know what you think. We hope to expand EDGE into new territory and gain some new source port end users. Cheers Andy for letting me create threads here for this. Cool

If you are interested in developing you are more than welcome (encouraged, even) to join the development of this source port.

Also - I will only be releasing Win32 stuff for the time being (if anyone wants to do the Linux stuff I'll be more than happy to pass that along).

EDIT: NEW VERSION 1.36 RELEASED

Last edited by Corbin on Fri 22 Jun 2012 6:56 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tragos
PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbin will never let Edge die.... Or Corbin might die? LOL

If you get all of this working I may just come back to Edge! Goodluck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deathbringer
PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of portals on lower textures? I think I asked about it ages ago, in fact it might already be in XD.

It'd be good because you could build a whole detailed building you could even walk on the roof of, with a "sticking up block" "of portal" in the doorway that woud let you see inside, which would be built elsewhere on the map and also detailed and fancy.
Corbin
PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.36.2 has been released!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE/binaries/1.36/

Good news here is that we decided to leave 1.32 and continue with what Andy released in 1.35 final. Saying this, we now have full compatibility with EDGE mods should you decide to give this a test run.

++
CHANGELOG
(April 2011)++

+ FULL Compatibility with 1.35 final (mods will work!)

+ MD3 Support! Syntax is the same as MD2, with the
exception - lump/file name should be xMD3 instead
of xMD2 (where 'x' is the name).
Limitations: single-mesh support only, working on
full support.

+ Removed customizable stuff in styles.ddf due to
a clean working copy from EDGE 1.35 final. Will
be restored (and fixed!) in 1.36.3.

+ 3DGE now uses the wadfile 'edge2.wad'. This is to
avoid confusion in the future with the EDGE
wadfile.

+ Went ahead and included the doom_ddf folder from
EDGE 1.35 since people complained about downloading
them separately.

+ Removed DLL's associated with 0.35d. Now only one DLL is necessary (SDL).
PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lurking for quite a long while and have to say this interests me greatly.
Keep up the good work.
Karnizero
PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible but true. Downloading...

And meanwhile, reading all your list of features.

Bat I have a quastion, my little Corbin: you call it "3DGE" or "hyper3DGE", but the Sourceforge web page says "EDGE 2", and Andrew is already developing a project called EDGE2, time before you even though about your "3DGE" engine (if we can call it "engine"), so isn't it a bit confusing, at least for those who know little about Andrew new secret engine? Razz

Nah, good work, i will be testing it as soon as i can, and tell give you some good feedback.

[EDIT]

Ok downloaded, but i couldnt test it.
It asks for libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll which i didnt have, but downloaded from internet.
Now asks for libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, which i don't have, and i don't want (i can't) to install MinGW. Any solution (i.e. send me the .dll
libstdc++-6.dll)?
PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's only the sourceforge address, since it used a UNIX name scheme I could not start it with a numeral. I thought about using "hyper3DGE" but I liked the shorter name - its not meant to imply anything otherwise. Same goes for the wadfile - needed something short or very similar. In the code its sometimes called a mix of the 3 but its official name is "3DGE". We can call it an "extension" until more serious features get finished.

Looks like I didn't statically link those libs like I thought. I will rebuild it soon - someone zipped up the required dynalibs at the hyper forums - will link you when I'm not surfing from my android. Wink

EDIT:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE/binaries/1.36/3dgeDLL.rar/download

DLL's should be ready to go!
PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works now with all your dlls.

Are the decals working or not? I changed the player_punch attk "PUFF=PUFF" by "DECAL=PUFF", but game console complains about it, saying that such instruction doesn't exists.

Also I noticed that the executable is using the caleb's face as icon. I would recommend to change it for a more appropriate one Razz

As final question: why 3DGE is asking my windows to unblock the incoming net packets for it? This is, why 3DGE needs to access internet when i execute it?
PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnizero wrote:
and Andrew is already developing a project called EDGE2

No I was never planning to use the name "EDGE2".

My Quake2 port is kinda dead btw, I was developing COAL2 for it -- a proper game scripting language -- but just lost interest in them both.
Corbin
PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnizero wrote:
It works now with all your dlls.

Are the decals working or not? I changed the player_punch attk "PUFF=PUFF" by "DECAL=PUFF", but game console complains about it, saying that such instruction doesn't exists.

Also I noticed that the executable is using the caleb's face as icon. I would recommend to change it for a more appropriate one Razz

As final question: why 3DGE is asking my windows to unblock the incoming net packets for it? This is, why 3DGE needs to access internet when i execute it?

Decal support is unfinished - when it's done, you'll find it in the changelogs.

Executable icon will change when I find a replacement, for right now it's using Hyper's switches.

3DGE networking is under development, but it's not finished. It will ask to access the internet - for right now, you can just block it. It won't do any harm having it blocked or otherwise.
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewj wrote:
Karnizero wrote:
and Andrew is already developing a project called EDGE2

No I was never planning to use the name "EDGE2".

My Quake2 port is kinda dead btw, I was developing COAL2 for it -- a proper game scripting language -- but just lost interest in them both.

What? No, ok, this is just an April's Fools joke. Isn't it?

Ok, i trust you, but then... Are you developing something now?
Why you don't do something for Android Platforms? Question
Why you don't port EDGE for Android? I really miss a good doom port for 'droid devices that is easy to control, good moddability and runs smoothly.
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another (very) small update, I released 1.36.3a, which includes a new DDF function (scream_sound in THINGS for falling long distances, from Hexen), and a fix for the ability to customize menu and console graphics in styles.ddf. I was working on some stuff left over from Andy, but it's not included yet. Big features are still not finished, should be in the next package.

++
Changelog:
(June 2011)++

+ DDF Additions: Added SCREAM_SOUND for the player
when they fall long distances, ala Hexen. Use this in
THINGS.ddf.

+ Customizable styles.ddf (namely, background.image)
has been added back and fixed (console image now
sizes correctly). Commented-out switches are available
in Styles.ddf.

+ Bumped edge2.wad version number

+ Released Source.

+ Minor cleanups
PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbin wrote:

+ DDF Additions: Added SCREAM_SOUND for the player
when they fall long distances, ala Hexen. Use this in
THINGS.ddf.

Where and what a long distance is, in units? Is it defined somewhere in a DDF/RTS/Whatever, or just hardcoded?

Corbin wrote:

+ Customizable styles.ddf (namely, background.image)
has been added back and fixed (console image now
sizes correctly). Commented-out switches are available
in Styles.ddf.

Does it allows to define our own game menus dispossition and actions?
PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scream_Sound is hardcoded at -35 units. I might add an option to make it customizable though, that'd be pretty neat.

About the STYLES, no, it functions how it did in 1.31. After that, Andrew made adjustments for hard-coded values, which are reverted here.

God, I just realized I forgot to fix the splash screen. So...just ignore the weird lettering for right now and focus on the pretty stars.
PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbin wrote:
Scream_Sound is hardcoded at -35 units. I might add an option to make it customizable though, that'd be pretty neat.

How about a "Falling Damage Height" game option that the player can configure to match his preferences?
PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might make that a user defined option actually.

New release coming soon, with a few [very] interesting features, such as post processing effects and splitscreen support. Also, a few small fixes left from EDGE and 3DGE.

I'm also working on a wiki to update the DDF, RTS, and COAL documentation stuff. I was originally going to use a format similar to Lobo's guide but I decided a wiki might be easier.
PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched your video that showcased the split screen feature. I commend your efforts! It appears that the 2nd player does not trigger events/monsters despite being able to interact with them.

Is split-screen a serious feature you plan to implement? Or is the beginning of actual multiplayer support for edge? Very Happy
Corbin
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair Andrew did a lot of the work on this, but I plan on changing the orientation, and I'm in the process of creating a control scheme, and making splitscreen a dedicated menu. I am fixing the rest of the bugs with it as well.

I'm also working on a few other things I mentioned, but it's merely learning where to stick the code, not neccesarily how I need to write it.

The LAN/etc multiplayer stuff is being worked on internally alongside the splitscreen, the majority being by a network programmer, while I'm adding a few things on the SP side. I'm mostly interested in the OpenGL aspects and what I can do to enhance it. Also, things like a customizable inventory and whatnot are really fun, though they are very challenging.

It's really interesting working on this because a lot of it is trial and error. Almost 90% of the code I work on fails on build time, but it's helping me learn the engine (which is a good thing). I have a lot of hit and miss, but I am grasping the concept and where Andy put stuff and how it's working. It's a little different from the other DOOM engines but I'm slowly learning.
PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update, I released 1.36.3b test, which includes a new parameter for testing the splitscreen in the engine (-splitscreen at runtime). This version was actually completed weeks ago but I decided to release something now rather than making you all wait for the planned stuff to surface. So, new parameter, and the HUD will have a bit of garbage over it because this release didn't fix the postprocessing problems I had at the time. Also, this version gives you very limited control of Player 2 (with only the mouse to use for moving, opening, and shooting) as I didn't finish the key mapping. This was what Ajapted helped me do so be sure to give him kudos!

++
Changelog:
(July 2011)++

+ New runtime Parameter -splitscreen, for testing ONLY. See below.

+ Bugfixes and optimizations

- HUD may occasionally glitch with garbage, working on new things
in source that were not completed at the time of this test.
HUD will glitch out in splitscreen as well.

- New Paramter -splitscreen is heavily bugged, no
input support for player 2 (only the mouse for basic controls), makes
playing very impractical. Mostly to test the mode on
numerous systems with weak configurations, especially
the GPU side. This version only has verticle splitscreen - the
next release will give you an option to scissor vertically
or horizontally. Keep in mind that there are also AI problems in
certain situations where they won't recognize either player, which
is fixed for the next release. I know I should have just included
these fixes but this version was out last month and I forgot to
make an update here about it first.

I was going to release an even newer version that actually has postprocessing fixed (as of yesterday) but I held off - I was able to gain an extra arm in the OpenGL department so we're in the process of making a topology for rendering improvements and other really cool effects. But, for now, something else to play with while you wait! Hopefully the next release will have very basic Internet support also!

If it complains about missing an additional dll (vfw32) let me know. If you get fed up with the splitscreen I would recommend using the last version as it's a bit less buggy. Also, screen wipes might act up and "miss" the last texture before wiping, which is expected for now. Just have fun!
PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will RTS scripting be effected by the split-screen changes?
Will the other player completely break them?
Corbin
PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickster wrote:
How will RTS scripting be effected by the split-screen changes?
Will the other player completely break them?

No - I uploaded a video not too long ago showing two-player splitscreen in the Hypertension TC - scripts are fine no matter what player activates them, it's only the AI that's affected (which was only a DDF issue in Hypertension and not in DOOM).

Though any testing right now would be appreciated, everything should run just fine aside from HUD issues and whatnot.
PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the brink of releasing a maintanence update. The update will fix the menus and console, reduce the filesize of the executable, and fix splitscreen for a horizontal scissor rather than a verticle.

Aside from that, I'm still working away at the heavier features and I'm actively thinking about hosting it all on SF rather than my own server, so it can be more open to changes and stuff.

There are still things that I'm grappling with (how everything potentially ties into the DDF system, etc). For instance, I think I have the inventory code from Heretic down (I had to rewrite it a bit), but beyond that I only have vague ideas on getting it to talk to DDF and whatnot. It does seem a little more complicated because EDGE does rely on things like RTS, DDF, COAL - which isn't the same convention as most other DOOM ports. So, for brand new stuff like inventory, it turned out a bit more challenging than I first thought.

Anyways, look for the maintanence update here in a few days.
PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone not willing to test out the last build? Need feedback before I start rolling out the final.
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbin wrote:
Anyone not willing to test out the last build? Need feedback before I start rolling out the final.

Been testing it out somewhat, split screen seems functional but the default mapped keys makes it hard to play.
Also, this forum seems sorta misfunctioning now and then. Having troubles loging in and replying.
Corbin
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've noticed some slight hiccups on this forum as well. We do have a backup board here, which also points to this forum and our sourceforge project page. Just throwing it out there.

Nickster wrote:
Been testing it out somewhat, split screen seems functional but the default mapped keys makes it hard to play.

Yeah, I'm working on making a seperate ticcmd table in the menu for rerouting player 2 keys.

In testing the 1.36.3b build, I'm noticing that some things in DDF are screwing up, but I'm not sure if it's something I recently changed in the source or if it was something that was packed in with the Windows binary. Strange things like sounds not playing correctly or at all, other stuff like rocket firing being too tall, etc etc. Can you confirm if this is in the binary or not? Thanks Nickster!
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep going back and forth between modding edge or not from time to time, but I'll be sure to give a shoutout if I find anything abnormal.

What comes to mind in theory with splitscreen is that rts scripting seems to function around a single player (such as GIVE_*) and would probably break or give both players the same... havent really tested it out in practice tho.

*edit*
Yup. RTS scripts that give benefits to player will give benefit to both players (since RTS doesnt have player 1 / 2 /3 etc).
Only workaround I can think of is disabling script alltogheter with the MP tag perhaps.
Corbin
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you use the When_Appear and When_Player_Num in the block of script you want to activate with the certain player? I might have to do some digging around with this. If you modify the PLAYER2 entry in DDF and do some RTS tagging, will it only affect the second player or both players at once?

I know the obvious things like the HUD being broken and the palette only triggering pickups/powerups/etc for one player while in split mode.
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really as much as broken but hindsight of no multiplayer.

The script WORKS as intended, giving the player the benfit.
Only problem, in my case, is that I only want the player who activated the script to recieve the benefit and the current RTS doesn't allow for this.
Corbin
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see what I can do, thanks for that. Is it only the BENEFIT that we're worried about with the players? Want to be sure it's not any other part of the code that could be affected.

-edit-
I found the piece of code that I'm sure controls it, RAD_ActBenefitPlayers, so I'll just do some adjusting and see what I can come up with.
PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys - this is taking a bit longer than usual. I've found a few more bugs I want to fix first.

In running some model format tests, I noticed that the rendering system might be slightly out-of-order when it comes to multiple alpha channel surfaces. There is interference, which is mostly noticeable on models (MD2 or MD3 format) with transparent surfaces/planes (such as, for instance, trees that render leaves with alpha surfaces). Revolving around the model, some surfaces show up while others get cut out. Currently looking into ways I can possibly fix this.

Sorry if I ramble on, I know you'd like to see an update but I'd rather have things fixed for the final release of 1.36 so I can start all the experimental stuff next.

EDIT: NEW VERSION 1.36C RELEASED

Jump to: